What keeps clients up at night? What additional services would they like to see architectural practices provide?
The answers to these questions along with other candid insights are contained in a landmark new report released today by the Australian Institute of Architects.
The Stronger Insights for Stronger Practices – 2021 Client Feedback Report is a collaboration with the Royal Institute of British Architects in the UK, supported by Lysaght, that will give Australian architects evidence-based data to better shape their value proposition.
It provides architects with a valuable resource especially at a time when the COVID-19 pandemic continues to negatively impact practice.
CEO Julia Cambage said the insights directly from clients contained in the report would have otherwise been hard to obtain.
“In the Stronger Insights for Stronger Practices – 2021 Client Feedback Report we’ve asked real clients about their experiences of working with architects on projects,” Ms Cambage said.
“Growth comes from the ability to foster a culture of continual improvement; however, practice is reporting hesitancy from clients in providing robust feedback within a one-on-one setting. By facilitating this body of work on behalf of the profession we are able to bypass this concern.”
The report provides data that demonstrates the client’s perspective on topics such as selection criteria and service expectations, value proposition, performance, and design review. This data is critical in supporting the executive leadership of architectural practices to make decisions around the practice’s investment in skills, resourcing, and business strategy.
Key findings include:
- Effective communication was the factor clients ranked number #1 in importance in their relationship with an architect
- Over 61% of clients believed that a fixed price agreement was the preferred form of fee structure.
- 35.9% of clients indicated they would consider using a dedicated engineering service provided by an architectural practice
- 60% of survey respondents said that they expect, and value architects that act ethically and challenge them if a project’s objectives are not maintained.
- Clients want to learn more about modern methods of construction
- 3/4 of respondents believe using the service of an architectural practice represents good value.
JOIN US FOR THE LOCAL LAUNCH EVENTS:
The Institute and Lysaght are proud to share the details of “Stronger Insights – Client Feedback Report” through a series of launch events. These events will explore the report’s findings, the implications for practices of all sizes and draw on the expertise provided by a terrific range of special guests on each panel.
Book your spot via the links below:
• Perth: Wednesday 1 September
• Hobart: Monday 13 September
• Sydney: Thursday 16 September
• ACT, NT, SA & Online: Tuesday 24 August – With special guests from RIBA (United Kingdom)
Thank you to our report partner