Learning. Engaging. Knowing. Our Acumen notes continue to provide knowledge and engagement to all levels of the profession, from students to experienced practitioners. In this update, view some of our recently updated notes covering topics such as ethics, fast-tracked projects and specification writing, in addition to new notes on Public Private Partnerships and Quality Management System (CMS) certification.
If you have missed an update via e-news or social media, recent new and significantly updated content can be found via the Acumen home page where you can also view our most popular notes. We welcome your feedback.
Acumen is an included benefit for A+, Member level 1, Affiliate Level 1, Graduate and Student members.
Acumen Content Review Panel (ACRP) news
We warmly thank outgoing ACRP Qld member Suzanne Goodson for her collaborative and positive contribution to Acumen and the ACRP for the last 3 years. Suzanne has been a committed member of the ACRP, significantly contributing to content development with her valued insight. We are delighted to welcome Daniel Trevino (ACT) to the panel.
Have you explored our notepacks? Notepacks provide curated Acumen content on a particular topic. New to notepacks:
- Super Studio 2022: This notepack forms part of a series of student-related notepacks curated by the Student Organised Network for Architecture (SONA), and provides information related to the 2022 Super Studio Design Competition. The theme of this year’s brief is sustainable and regenerative design.
Acumen notes are regularly reviewed and updated. The following updated notes include new/revised material or resources:
- Clerk of Works
- Contract Administration versus supervision
- Design and construct
- Electronic data transfer – client and architect agreement
- Fast-tracked projects
- Guide letter 9: Recommendation to client – additional fees
- Guide letter 11: Advice to client – architects’ fees due
- Guide letter 17: Recommendation to client – clerk of works
- Guide letter 26: Insurance – request to contractor for evidence
- Guide letter 35: Confirmation to client – defects and incomplete work
- Office fit-out projects
- Profit and profitability
- Progress payments
- Specification writing
The Environment section, previously known as the Environment Design Guide (EDG), comprises over 175 peer-reviewed design notes on built-environment sustainability. All Environment notes were subject to a review in 2018 to determine their incorporation into Acumen as approved for currency, retained for legacy or archived. The Environment notes are subject to ongoing review and update, informed by the Environment Advisory Group.
Highlighted note: Architecture’s role in the repair of the natural environment
Through the theme ‘Repair’, this note discusses three of the exhibited projects presented at the Australian Pavilion for the 2018 Venice Architecture Biennale. It demonstrates how architecture can engage with the environment across multiple scales to effect repair of the places it is part of.
Navigating the Acumen Practice Notes
Did you know you can see all Acumen notes in the one place, by navigating to the Topic index? Click ‘View Topic Index’ under the main search bar, which will take you to a list of all Acumen notes:
You can also access the A-Z Index, under the Help and Information heading, at the bottom of each Acumen page:
View these introductory videos for more information on how to navigate the Acumen Practice Notes.