Learning. Engaging. Knowing. Our Acumen notes continue to provide knowledge and engagement to all levels of the profession, from students to experienced practitioners. In this update, view some of our recently updated notes covering topics such as accessibility in design and working with an architect, in addition to newly developed notes on fire safety.
Acumen is an included benefit for A+, Member level 1, Affiliate Level 1, Graduate and Student members.
Acumen Content Review Panel (ACRP) news
The ACRP is an active national committee tasked to develop and maintain the accuracy, currency and quality of the Acumen practice notes.
Since October 2021, we have been delighted to welcome three new members to the panel: Chloe Summers (WA), Derek Moses (regional NSW) and Tim Browne (NSW).
- Fire safety engineering vs fire services engineering
- Protection of adjoining property
- The role of the fire safety engineer in the design team
- When to engage a fire safety engineer
Have you explored our notepacks? Notepacks provide curated Acumen content on a particular topic. New to notepacks:
- Student SONA notepack: This notepack has been curated by the Student Organised Network for Architecture (SONA) with a particular focus on the interests of students of architecture.
Acumen notes are regularly reviewed and updated. The following updated notes include new/revised material or resources:
- Access design guide
- Accessible entry
- Client note: Architects’ fees
- Client note: Opening up and testing the works
- Client note: Selecting an architect
- Client note: Your brief to your architect
- Client-generated agreements
- Extensions of time
- Guide letter 2: Confirmation to client – conditions of engagement
- Guide letter 11: Advice to client – architects’ fees due
- Guide letter 21: Confirmation to client – tender details
- Practical Completion
The Environment section, previously known as the Environment Design Guide (EDG), comprises over 175 peer-reviewed design notes on built-environment sustainability. All Environment notes were subject to a review in 2018 to determine their incorporation into Acumen as approved for currency, retained for legacy or archived. The Environment notes are subject to ongoing review and update, informed by the Environment Advisory Group.
View the latest Environment note:
Navigating the Acumen Practice Notes
Did you know you can find more related notes, when you search a topic via the Acumen search bar? You can access more notes by clicking the ‘See more’ button that appears upon entering a term in the search bar.
View these introductory videos for more information on how to navigate the Acumen Practice Notes.