This month’s winner and runner-up will be announced on
Wednesday, 1 November 2023
The Australian Institute of Architects (the Institute) would like to announce the Victorian SONA Social Media Competition. The competition will be run every month and aims to encourage SONA students from across the state to promote their work by sharing it with the world on social media. Members of the Victorian Education Committee will vote for the winner each month. The winner will receive $100 cash and a runner up will receive $50 cash.
Students are developing practical skills that they will one day use in the architecture profession. Sometimes this output gets left out of final portfolios in favour of photorealistic renders and polymetric modelling. Many architects would love to see more of the working drawings and models’ students are playing with, the beauty in the messy part of the design process is some of the most informative to future employers.
Students will use the SONA Social Media Competition to demonstrate and express their work in new ways digitally. Students will not be required to produce additional work beyond what they have already produced in studio. Students will use the competition to promote the skills they’re learning in their coursework and how they’re applying it to their projects.
Students from all architecture degrees and year levels are encouraged to apply.
- Students are required to post a concept section drawing or model of the project you’re working on this semester on Instagram.
- Describe what your project is and where the site is located.
- Explain the concept and design intent of your project and how your design benefits the end users.
- Submissions will be judged based on clarity and efficacy. Judges will select the winning section based on the communicative clarity of the drawing/model and its relationship to the design intent of the proposed project.
- A winner and runner-up will be announced on Wednesday, 1 November 2023
To be eligible for the competition you must be:
- a SONA member in Victoria
- tag the educational institution where you are studying architecture
- tag the SONA VIC Instagram handle @sonavictoria
- tag Victorian Chapter Instagram handle @architecture_vic
- add the hashtag #VICSONACreativeComp to your Instagram post
Cost to Enter
SONA members: Free