2020: despite its challenges has been an incredibly productive and rewarding year for the WA Chapter. We would like to thank all members, contributors, and supporters throughout the year, without whom none of our programs would be possible.
I would also like to congratulate Sandy Anghie, Tanya Jones and Mandy Leung as return Councillors for 2021-2022, and most importantly Peter Hobbs on another term as Chapter President.
In a recap, some key activities include:
- We’ve survived a Covid-19 lockdown, where we outlined our Ten Point Plan to stimulate the industry, many of which have been responded to and/or implemented.
- We made a joint submission with the ACA to the Building Commission in response to: Reforms to the approval process for commercial buildings in Western Australia. This included multi-stage consultation process with key members, representatives of affiliated organisations and the Building Commission.
- We have liaised with the Department of Planning, Lands and Heritage at various levels of stakeholder engagement and consultation with regards to planning reform. This resulted in a submission made in response to Draft amendments to SPP 7.3 R-Codes.
- Provided feedback to the Draft Swan Valley Planning Scheme.
- Alongside AILA and Engineers Australia, successfully lobbied the State to review legislation to allow architects, engineers and landscape architects access to BCITF funds for training. We look forward to participating in stakeholder engagement workshops to this effect in the New Year.
- Written to the Premier to alert the State in regard to the Insurance market impacts on Building Surveyors.
- Participated in industry Infrastructure WA engagement workshops.
- Held workshops to contribute to national submissions in regards to the National Registration Framework Response, Economic Stimulus 2020 and the review of National Competency Standards for Architects.
- Delivered the ZERO Carbon Design 7 Lecture CPD series, curated by Ross Donaldson. Missed it? These are available free to view for six months on our online CPD platform.
2021 will be an even more productive year:
- We look forward to making a submission in response to the State’s Draft Medium Density Policy, including hosting a series of briefing sessions and workshops.
- State Elections: Save the Date for a State Election Breakfast alongside AILA and PIA featuring key state election candidates on 10 February 2021, a not to be missed event!
- WA Architecture Awards 2021: entries are now open! The next awards season will combine the best of both worlds: presentation to juries day, exhibition, site visit jury process, digital award presentation and an Afterparty at the Westin (with some new initiatives along the way). Stay tuned for more announcements coming soon.
Wishing you all a restful and rejuvenating break, and a prosperous 2021.