Over the last two years, the SONA committees of 2018 and 2019 have been very busy. Membership in the ACT more than doubled in the last year which means that students now make up more than 20% of the ACT Institute members. SONA at UC were also able to team up with University of Canberra to have them sponsor a third of the price for each of the students that signed up. This endorsement and support meant that the benefits of being an Institute member could reach so many more students.
The last two years has seen SONA UC run three design competitions, including being a part of the National Student Competition, SuperStudio. Along with the comps, SONA has run 13 separate events and opportunities for professional development and networking. This has led to an increase in the visibility of students in the built environment community in the ACT and allowed many students to further their personal careers.
The opportunity to be apart of SONA has been amazing and I am glad I took the leap of faith with a “You Only Live Once” attitude two years ago in taking on this position. I would encourage all students to get involved with this community; whether that looks like attending/organising events, writing articles, getting involved in local government, participating in protests and causes that matter to you.
This was by no means a solo effort and I couldn’t have done this without my SONA committees of 2018 and 2019. I want to personally thank, Chris Smith, Sika Manteaw, Damon Hughes, Jayden Barlings and Ryun Pepper for absolutely everything. We did awesomely!
That being said, I would like to welcome our 2020 SONA Representative for University of Canberra, Damon Hughes, to the role. He has been an enthusiastic member of the SONA committee in 2019 and has plenty of ideas for the year ahead. Damon is a talented illustrator and photographer and due to complete his Bachelor’s Degree in Architecture in 2020.
SONA UC had a wealth of support from so many corners of this community over the last two years, we would like to thank:
- Jeremy, Liz and Alex from Arclub
- Milica, Michael, Max, John, Ann and Gevork from University of Canberra
- Lester Yao, Patrick Stein, Sarah Lebner and Nathan Pauletto for your advice and guidance
- For your support and involvement in SONA
- Shoba Cole, Gregor Mews, Evan Williamson, Sarah Lebner, Kate Shepard, Byron Kelly, Mark Bersolto, Michi Playford, Tony Trobe, Shannon Battisson, Cox Architecture, Stewart Architecture, The Mill: Architecture + Design, TT Architecture.
- Our collaborators and sponsors:
- James from AWS
- Bronwen from Harvey Norman Commercial
- Janet and Retlaw from Stackspace
- Obelia and Richmond from Tait Network.
Thank you for the opportunity Australian Institute of Architects.
– Courtney Thoo
University of Canberra SONA Representative 2018 and 2019