New South Wales
80 Albion is an adaptive reuse conversion of a former Church and Presbytery for use as commercial offices and a restaurant. Built in various stages from 1855, the design embraces the buildings’ history whilst creating a flexible and contemporary work environment.
A fine subtle approach to the exterior allows the Church to remain the dominant element in the streetscape with the additions adopting a subtle presence. The interior of the Church itself remains a vast volume with preference given to volume over floorspace
Interventions were kept to a minimum for what was necessary for the ongoing development of the building. All new work is clearly contemporary, with steel and glass as the predominant language.
A glass roof was added in the space between the two buildings to create a new atrium, activated through its use as restaurant Shaffa. The journey from the street to this space frames the building’s history.