What is super studio
Super Studio is a national design competition open to SONA members from all year levels. As a conceptual design competition, Super Studio gives students license to explore highly creative responses to a design brief set by a creative team comprising student representatives and industry professionals.
Participants are encouraged to think big and share ideas you might not have the chance to in a regular studio.
Responding to one national brief, participants will be mentored to help with design development and present their proposal to a judging panel in each state and territory. The winners from the state and territory levels progress to the national level judging for the chance to win a cash prize!
When is Super studio
Super Studio will return again in 2024. Dates to be announced soon!
A fun and supportive environment to flex your creative muscles and apply your theoretical knowledge. Here is why you should participate in Super Studio,
- Receive valuable feedback from industry experts
- Meet other students from different universities
- Share your work and thinking, all finalists will be published in the Institutes national E news letter and on the SONA website
- All participants will be considered to be included in the special Super Studio edition of de-PICT
- Prizes to be won on a state and national level
- Plus, imagine the bragging rights of winning or placing in a national student competition!
How to enter
Super Studio spans for one week and includes optional activities like mentoring and design day presentations to help participants spark creativity. Plan your Super Studio week to get the most out of the experience.
National level prize:
- The winners from each state will go into the national competition for the chance to win $3000!
- Access to the Career Momentum Course (valued at $290) for the National winning team and one runner up team
State level prize:
- Exclusive office immersion experiences with a local practice – check details in your state or territory
- Progression to the national level of judging ($3000 prize)
- Architectural stationary voucher
- 2024 SONA membership
Runners up (2 teams in each state)
eligibility & teams
Super Studio is open to all SONA members from all year levels.
Students can enter in teams of up to 3.
|What's on||Date and time||Links|
|Reading of the brief (virtual)||Thursday 20 July, 5.30 pm AEST | 3.30pm WA | 5.00 pm NT & SA||Connect here|
|Last chance to register||Friday 21 July, 11 am AEST | 7 am WA | 10.30am NT & SA||Register here|
|Mentor session (face to face)||Monday 24 July, from 5.30 pm (local time)||More info|
|Design Day talk (virtual)||Tuesday 25 July, 5.30pm AEST||More info|
|Mentoring session (virtual)||Wednesday, 26 July, from 5.30 pm AEST | 3.30 pm WA | 5.00 pm NT & SA||Connect here|
|Online submission due||Thursday 27 July, 9.00am AEST | 7.00am WA | 8.30am NT||Submit here|
|Presentation day||Thursday 27 July, from 5.30pm (local time)||More info|
|National winner announcement||Tuesday 1 August, 5.30pm AEST | 3.30 pm WA | 5.00 pm NT||Connect here|
hear from past participants
Check out Super Studio in Queensland in 2022.
Video credit: Werror photography
See what students thought about participating in Super Studio
Video credit: Werror photography
SONA COMPETITION TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Super studio partner
Super Studio 2023 is sponsored by Alspec.
Australian owned and operated, Alspec is the market leader in the design and distribution of innovative aluminium systems to the architectural, residential, industrial and home-improvement markets. Continuous investment in research and development ensures the latest technologies and design principles are applied in their extensive range of aluminium systems and products.