The Australian Institute of Architects is bringing together a national Climate Action and Sustainability Taskforce to scope, develop and recommend to National Council a range of policies and programs that could be put in place to create practical solutions for architects to deploy to address the challenges posed by climate change, population growth and the imperative for more connected, healthier communities that support and promote sustainability in architectural practice and in the community.
The first activity of the taskforce will be to develop formal terms of reference and outline the activities and outputs. These activities may include:
- Drafting policies directed to government (subject to National Council endorsement) on actions needed to address climate change
- Identify direct actions that members can take on to address climate change and promote sustainability
- Liaising with Chapter sustainability groups to share information on activities at a local level and
provide input into national policy and programs.
The taskforce may also:
- Provide specific guidance on issues and barriers that affect the implementation of sustainable practice
- Identify actions that would support increased awareness of the need for resilient communities and actions that can be taken to mitigate issues around climate change
- Consider opportunities for members to contribute to the implementation of sustainability initiatives within architectural offices
- Identify opportunities to recognise leadership within the architectural profession for developing initiatives that contribute to low carbon environments and improved sustainability outcomes
- Provide comment on any other issue or activity the taskforce identifies should be under consideration.
The recommendations from the taskforce will be captured in a report to National Council. Further activities will be considered in response to the report. This may include the creation of a permanent advisory group.
- There are five positions to be filled via an expression of interest
- The Chair will be appointed by National Council.
Member level 1.
Communications will be predominately via email and teleconference. The tenure of all taskforce members will be two years, and the continuation of the committee will be reviewed at the end of that two year period.
Taskforce members must fulfil their roles, tasks and responsibilities in an accountable, professional and expedient manner.
Expressions of interest must be submitted via the form by Friday 7 February 2020.