- This event has passed.
2019 NSW Regional Conference and Country Awards Night
8 Oct 2019 at 9:00 am - 10 Oct 2019 at 10:30 pm AEDT
Always was, always will be.
Architects are taught how to analyse a site and understand place. We all do this on some level, but from whose perspective? Are we seeing the real country, or just an Anglo-European interpretation?
Imagine an approach that considers site as not land, but Country.
The Australian Institute of Architects’ 2019 NSW Regional Conference will be looking to develop a deep understanding of Country. The conference will describe what a shared future can look like, and how it can make our architecture better, more meaningful, and more of this place. But this is not possible without architects and architecture beginning an authentic engagement on reconciliation with our First Peoples.
Always was, always will be will ask a diverse range of speakers to lead the audience to a broader and deeper understanding of the cultural, historical, environmental and political perspectives of the Country in which we live and seek to build on.
The final day of the conference will take delegates to CHROFI’s Lune de Sang project where we connect some of the pieces of the process to arrive at new and better ways of thinking about our relationship to Country and how our architecture responds to it.
- Noel Pearson – Indigenous leader and land rights activist
- John Choi – Director, CHROFI
- Sue Dugdale – Principal, Sue Dugdale and Associates (Alice Springs)
- Dillon Kombumerri – Principal Architect, Government Architect NSW
- Michael Mossman – Senior Lecturer, The University of Sydney, author of Architecture and the Third Space
- Callantha Brigham – NSW Reconciliation Working Group, Australian Institute of Architects.
AACA Competency: Design: 1.7; 2.1; 2.2; 3.3; 4.2; 4.3 Practice Management: 8.9; 9.6