Hollydene - Jawsarchitects in association with Lyons
Hollydene dates from the mid 1820s, when earlier huts were replaced by more substantial dwellings. By 1925, the original house had expanded to become the largest boarding house in Hobart. The building was in disrepair when purchased by the University of Tasmania to become part of the new Medical Science 1 facility. The conservation and adaptation of the building was undertaken cautiously through judicious removal of some later additions and simply rewiring, patching, painting and laying new carpet internally. Two paint schemes are used to reflect the 1825 and 1910 portions in colours of each era, with the front veranda reconstructed from a detailed 1910 photograph. The rejuvenated Hollydene highlights the contrasting eras of craftsmanship between old and new.