Being an Institute member offers you the chance to play a part in shaping the future of the architecture profession. You can choose how involved you get.
Joining the Australian Institute of Architects builds on the strength of thousands of your peers.
As a member you can tap into a network of knowledge; experience and vision that will help your professional career grow.
Promote your practice
- Receive recognition from your peers and get national media coverage through the annual Architecture Awards program.
- Participate, as a member practice, in the prestigious and highly-publicised National Awards.
- Feature in the National Awards project gallery – architecture.com.au/awardsgallery – every entry in the awards is featured on the
- List your practice on the Institutes online directory – Find an Architect. Your profile includes links to your contact details, website, email as well as projects you have entered in the architecture awards.
The Institute’s database of practice advisory material is known as Acumen, and it provides architects with the most relevant and up-to-date advisory material and news about managing an architectural practice and managing architectural projects. Acumen replaces the hard copy Advisory Notes and has reordered and published the AN content in conjunction with new material. Updates are frequently added to Acumen. Each individual in an A+ practice has access to the Institute’s online practice resources as part of their membership benefits package.
The Environment Design Guide (EDG)
EDG is a comprehensive source of information on environmental issues in the built environment. EDG provides reliable, practical information, allowing practitioners to make educated, environmentally responsible decisions during the early phases of design, where the greatest environmental benefits can be effected with the least cost.
Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
Members receive discounts on all CPD events including the National Seminar Series and on online continuum programs. The 'Refuel' National Seminar Series is a selection of high quality seminars developed by the national office and delivered across Australia. Continuum is an online CPD portal providing a wide range of audio-visual courses covering the AACA competencies of Design, Documentation, Project Management and Practice Management, which can be accessed directly from your computer.
Join a professional network
- Share relevant information and experience with Institute members throughout Australia and the world.
- Join Councils, Committee and Work Groups to address key issues such as Practice, Quality Assurance, Contracts, Education and Professional Development and make a difference.
- Work with Archicentre, the Home Advisory Service that provides home inspection and renovation services in most parts of Australia
- Help maintain the standards of tertiary education courses for architecture and participate in Visiting Panels to architectural schools.
Access information and attend events
- Be well informed. Receive a subscription to the bi-monthly national magazine Architecture Australia; the national monthly newsletter Memo; publications and news bulletins from your local Chapter, as well as this web-site, architecture.com.au; all providing information about new projects, lectures, competitions, exhibitions, Awards, professional opportunities and much more.
- Meet major local and international speakers at special interest conferences and National Conventions
- Attend seminars on design, exhibitions and social functions at chapter-based events
- Participate in the organisation and judging of institute-endorsed competitions and
- Receive guidelines for competitions and the Institutes Competition Handbook with
As a member you receive exclusive discounts from the Institutes suppliers and corporate partners. Take advantage of discounts and exclusive offers from;
- Just Travel
- Qantas (domestic flights)
- Architecture Media
- Architects Professional Risk Services
Current members can access information on current discounts and offers on the Member Discount page.
From a practical point of view, Institute membership provides you with a cost effective method of improving your professional standing and influence within the profession and your organisation, increasing your professional knowledge and marketing your services.
Contact the your local chapter or the membership team to apply now.