Annabel Lahz &
Enrico Taglietti has been an influential figure in Australian architecture over the past half-century and is regarded as an ‘elder statesman’ of the architectural profession in Canberra. Since the late 1950s, his completed architectural works have contributed significantly to the development of the national capital. He is best known for a striking range of domestic architecture projects in the ACT, but has also designed many public works, including schools and youth centres, libraries and churches.
Enrico was born in 1926 in Milan. He spent his formative early years in the Italian city and in Asmara in Eritrea. He graduated from Milan Polytechnic with a diploma in architecture, with his furniture and industrial design soon being published internationally. In 1956, at the age of 28, Enrico and his wife Francesca visited Australia, establishing a practice in Australia and Switzerland later that year.
He immediately began to fulfil his dream of contributing to what he described as the “invisible city”, designing projects in the capital over the next 50 years. Some of his best known works are the Town House Motel and Noah’s Restaurant, Grantham Park at Currandooley (NSW), the McKeown family house at Watson (ACT), the Dingle House in Hughes (ACT), the Smith House in West Pennant Hills (NSW), the Paterson House in Aranda (ACT), and the Killen House at Mt Majura (ACT).
From his earliest days as an architect in Canberra, Enrico worked with the Italian and ambassadorial community to complete a number of projects of importance, the first being the Italo-Australian Club in Forrest and the Italian Ambassador’s Residence. Important civic and institutional projects have included the Dickson Library in the ACT and the St.Kilda Library for the St.Kilda City Council. His many school projects include the multi-award winning Giralang Primary School.
In 1965, Enrico wa commissioned by the Order of St.Vincent de Paul to complete his only major church, the 600-seat St Anthony’s Catholic Church at Marsfield in Sydney. In 1978, he also completed the Apostolic Nunciature in Red Hill (ACT) and receives a Papal Knighthood of St.Gregory the Great from the Pope for his work.
The RAIA honoured Enrico's lifelong achievement in March this year, awarding him the profession's highest honour, the RAIA Gold Medal.