Welcome to the New South Wales Chapter
Welcome to the NSW Chapter of the Australian Institute of Architects. This is the entry point for the many exciting opportunities and events that the Institute offers its NSW and national members.
On this page you will find information on NSW CPD events. In the Quick links box to the right you will find links to other NSW events, as well as awards, services, resources and publications.
New South Wales CPD events
Continuing professional development (CPD) events are a core component of the NSW Chapter's continuing professional development program. The series aims to present topics that are inspiring and tangible, providing knowledge that attendees can put into practice.
CPD in NSW
In most states of Australia, including NSW, it is compulsory for registered architects to do CPD. Be aware that A+ members of the Institute are required to accrue yearly CPD points regardless of their state of registration. Download a sample CPD Record form. For more information about CPD for architects, see the NSW Architects Registration Board CPD page. INFORMATION SHEET - Continuing Professional Development.
Balmoral House - 2nd Tour!
Thursday 26 May 11:30am - 12:30pm
Tour leaders: Polly Harbison & Clinton Murray
Inspired by an Isamu Noguchi sculpture, the Balmoral House by architects Polly Harbison and Clinton Murray is a meditation in concrete that plays with solid and void; light and dark; interior and exterior. The house “engages remarkably with its surroundings, being at once both intensely public and intensely private. Built on a sloping Sydney harbour site, it presents as a striking concrete sculpture to the street. The joy of art is integral to the house’s design… and is embedded into the form.” (RAIA Jury citation; the project was awarded a 2015 NSW Chapter ‘Architecture’ award and an RAIA national ‘Architecture’ award).
This tour will thoroughly explore the project inside and out. Issues around project procurement, design, documentation, construction and contract administration will be covered. Note that the attendee info pack includes a set of drawings that help illustrate the project and its construction.
Numbers strictly limited. 1 formal CPD point. Units of competency: Design | Documentation | Practice Management.
Book now for 2nd tour ...
Register online. Members only: $50 Member | $40 A+ member | $40 Graduate member | $30 SONA member
Meet: 11:15am for 11:30am start. The address will be emailed to you on registration.
NSW Codes SEPP: Commercial and Industrial
Thursday 23 June 9:00am - 10:30am
Speaker: Peter Smith Smith & Tzannes
The NSW Codes SEPP enable exempt and complying development for a range of uses and development types. Complying development offers a quick and cost effective approval path as an alternative to a development application and construction certificate.
Peter Smith, one of the architects of the standards will cover the detail of the standards, interpretation and scope as they apply to commercial and industrial development.
The seminar will cover:
- Change of use under exempt and complying development
- Part 4A General Development Code
- Part 5 & 5A Commercial and Industrial Codes
- Part 7 Demolition Code
- Part 8 Fire Safety Code
- Lodging a CDC with your certifier
- Case Studies and documentation examples
1.5 formal CPD points. Units of competency: Design | Documentation
Register online. $60 Member | $50 A+ member | Full Price $120 | $50 Graduate member | $35 SONA member.
Venue: Tusculum, 3 Manning Street, Potts Point.
Terms & conditions for CPD events
- Fees – Fees must be paid in full before the event.
- Membership discounts – Institute members are entitled to the discounts shown, provided their membership number is quoted when the booking is made, and their membership subscription is active at the time of booking.
- Cancellations by Institute – The Institute reserves the right to cancel or alter the dates, speakers or venue. In the event of cancellation, bookings will be transferred to the next available event unless the registrant requests otherwise.
- Cancellations by attendee – Cancellations by the attendee must be received in writing. No refunds or cancellations are permitted within two (2) full working days prior to the event. 'No shows' will not be refunded. Note: Cancellations by Institute Members due to sickness on the day of the event will receive a full refund contingent on receipt of a medical certificate.
- 'No Shows' - Due to CPD regulations the Institute is not permitted to hand out paperwork from seminar/workshops if registrants do not attend.